Hey friends :)
SO. I was coming up on the end of my great solo European adventure (if you're not caught up you can do that here and here) and the time had come to figure out how and when exactly I was heading home to Kenya before unwittingly becoming an illegal immigrant i.e. my visa was about to expire i.e. #TravellingWhileAfrican i.e. the struggle is real.
So I got my ass on Skyscanner and it was revealed that to get to Nairobi, the cheapest departure point would be Rome. So there it was. 6:AM on a Tuesday - depart Barcelona for Roma.
A few things about my week in Rome:
1. FOOD. Google suppli. Go to Rome. Eat all of it. You're welcome.
2. Policemen everywhere. All gorgeous. Someone explain.
3. I was geeking out every day at the ancient marvels of the empire (architecture student here, please excuse) but real talk, everything looked even better lit up at night.
4. More 'Africa must be hotter than this, right?' questions. It did not feel like it.
5. It took me a little while but the joy of spending time with other travellers is something worth taking a chance on a stranger. I largely have Couchsurfing to thank for that! (Blog and video coming soon on that so ask me all the questions and concerns you have about this traveller's best friend!)
Rome was a funny one because I spent more time with interesting people than over the whole trip but didn't film or photograph most of them. I regret nothing and I'm going to keep this one close because it was really special ending my trip here, but I did still capture a lot of my experiences in the vlog: